Current Graduate Students
- Anu Desai, Expected August 2010
- Nathan Howell, Expected August 2011
- Dan Burleson, Expected May 2013
- Jaejin Kim, Expected May 2014
- Norma Moreno, Expected August 2010
- Emil Helfer, Expected August 2010
- Megan Hochstedler, Expected May 2011
- Bora Toran, Expected May 2011
Graduated Masters and PhD Students
- Tina Petersen, Fecal Pathogens in Buffalo/White Oak, Ph.D. Aug 2006
- Oscar Correa, Dioxins in Ambient Air, Ph.D. May 2006
- Meng Ling, Optimizing Existing Long Term Groundwater Monitoring Plans with Innovative Methods, Ph.D. Sept. 2003
- Loren Hopkins, A Statistical Investigation of Ozone Exposure Assessment by Direct and Indirect Methods, Ph.D. May 1998
- Lisa Grecho, Pathogen Modeling for a Coastal Watershed using the Bacteria Annual Load Estimator (BALE) Spreadsheet Model, M.S. May 2010
- Yaa Amoah, Modeling Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Bacteria Reduction Using Hydrologic Simulation Program in Fortran (HSPF), M.S. Aug 2009
- Fouad Khan, Decision Support Modeling with Bioplume 4, M.S. Dec 2007
- Gian Villareal, Effectiveness of Wet and Dry Basins For Bacteria Control in Runoff, M.S. Dec 2006
- Tricia Rittaler, Modeling Uncertainty for Natural Attenuation of Chlorinated Solvent Plumes, M.S. Aug 2005
- Yeoson Choi, Estimating Bacterial Loads from Sediments and Biosolids, M.S. Aug 2005
- Sarah Hausman, Modeling Chlorinated Solvents at Dry Cleaner Sites, M.S. Mar 2005
- Ashish Bagga, Oxygen Releasing Compound as an Oxygen Source – Field and Laboratory Study, M.S. Aug 2003
- Tina Peterson, Characterizing and Modeling Pathogens in White Oak Bayou, M.S. May 2003
- Gretchen Shorr, Characterizing the Intrinsic Remediation of MTBE at Field Sites in Texas, M.S. Feb 2003
- Paul LaWare, Assessment of Non-Point Sources of Fecal Coliform to the Rio Grande, M.S. Dec 2001
- Fariba Mehdizadeh, Dispersion Modeling of Air Emissions from Point Sources, M.S. May 2001
Charelle Webb Natural Attenuation of Chlorinated Solvent M.S. Dec 2000
Plumes at Dry Cleaner Sites
- Monica Suarez, Assessing Intrinsic Remediation of BTEX Compounds at a Coastal Facility, M.S. Feb 2000
- Mike Morrow, Storm Water Simulation for Drainage Alternatives in a Low Income, Developed Subdivision, M.S. Dec 1999
- Suzanne Brock, Determination of Streamflow Characteristics of Ungaged Texas Streams Using Regression Analysis, M.S. June 1998
- Kevin Appling, BIOPLUME II Modeling of the MADE-2 Site in Columbus, Mississipi, M.S. May 1996
Thesis Committee Member
- Kristen McAlexander, Correspondence of Directly or Indirectly Measured Built Environment Attributes and Physical Activity Adoption Among African American and Hispanic or Latina Women, Ph.D. May 2010
- Burak Turan, Free Surface Flow and Wave Modeling Using Object Oriented C++ Finite Volume Solver on Irregular Topography with Wetting and Drying, Ph.D., Dec 2008
Bryan Luper, Characterizing Grain-Scale Availability Of Aromatic Hydrocarbon in MGP Site Soils and Assessment of the Impact on the
Dynamics of Soil and Pore Water Concentration During and After Remediation, Ph.D. May 2006
- Xiaohong He, Ethanol-Enhanced Dissolution of Aromatic Hydrocarbons from Non-Aqueous Phase Liquids in Porous Media, Ph.D. Jan. 2003
- Tharavanij Davchumporn, Software Development for Tilt-Up Concrete Construction, M.S. Dec. 2005
- Rosely Marmentini, Identification of Contributory Factors to Traffic Accidents: A Metropolitan Application, M.S. Apr. 2003
- Pranam Joshi, Web-Based Re-Engineering of Dynamic Lake Water Quality Modeling Software, “MINLAKE,” M.S. June 2002
- Grishma Shetty, Predicting Contaminant Removal During Municipal Drinking Water Nanofiltration Using Semi-Empirical Models and Artificial Neural Networks, M.S. June 2002
- Isaac Simon, Flood Risk Determination Conversion Factors, M.S. Nov 2001
- Tarlovsky And/or Lowell Kirby, Formulae between GPS Measured and Published Data Characterization and Control of Sulfur-Oxidizing Microorganisms Involved in the Process of Microbially Induced Concrete Corrosion, M.S. Dec 1999
- Jun Liu, World-Wide-Web Interface to Geographic Information Systems, M.S. Dec 1999
- Pavani Elsewarapu, Contamination Management Plan for Construction Sites, M.S. Dec 1998
- Kathy Yewdall, A Method to Model Passive Oxygen Reaeration in Naturally Attenuating Plumes Using Fick’s Law, M.S. June 1997
- Elaine Hauschel, Estimation of Contaminant Concentration in Ground Water Using A Stochastic Flow and Transport Model, M.S. May 1996
- John Hackney, An Evolution of Produced Water Treatment And the Associated Cost, M.S. May 1996
- Divagar Lakshmanan August 2007 – present
- Stephanie Fiorenza 2002-2003
- Loren Hopkins 2002-2004
NSF RETs (Research Experience for Teachers)
- Kelly Mizell, Biology, Aquatic Science and Chemistry, Sam Rayburn High School, Summer 2004 and 2005
- Nghia Le, Chemistry, Booker T. Washington High School, Summer 2006
- Rima Alexander, Science Specialist, O’Donnel Middle School, Summer 2007
- Renee O’Lear, Biology and Bioengineering, Bellaire High School, Summer 2008
- Myla van Duyn, Pre-AP Biology, Davis High School, Summer 2008 and 2009
- Gay Morris, Yes Preparatory, Summer 2009.
NSF REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduates)
- Sean Carbonaro, Summer 2009
- Rebecca Jimenez, Summer 2009
- Karina Navarro, Summer 2008
- Zan van Brunt, Summer 2008
- Reba Scott, Summer 2008
- Hannah Wilson, Summer 2007
- Anja Randjelovic IAESTE Intern 06
- Teresa Armas IAESTE Intern 07
- Lilith Hennes IAESTE Intern 08
- Scott Rauschhuber June – Dec 2009 (Rice Environmental Mgmt MS Intern)
- Andrea Crumpacker June 2004 – Dec 2005 (Rice Environmental Mgmt MS Intern)
- Andrea Izquierdo 2006 – 2008
- Jennifer Davis June 2002 – Dec 2005
- Monica Suarez Mar. 2000 – Dec 2007
- Jennifer Schimek Sept - Dec 2003
- Susan Jacob 2003-04
- Qiang Xue 2004-05
- Keeil Sung 1999-00
Undergraduate Research Assistants
- Nhu Vo Jan 2010 - current
- YinFei Sun Sept 2008 – current
- Stephen Ray Sept 2007 – current
- Sharon Wells Mar 2009 - current
- Jennifer McFarland Jan – Dec 2009
- Sabeen Shaikh Jan – June 2007
- Simon Sarkis Sept 2005 – May 2006
- Jeanine Thomas 2006-07
- Hannah Wilson May 2006 – May 2009
- Roel Huerta May 2006 – Dec 2008
- Matt Feaga 2007 – 2009 (summers)
- Zac Van Brunt 2007 - 2009 (summers)
- Andrew Coleman 2006 – 2007
- Jennifer Ehli Sept – Dec 05
- Michael Cowart 2005 – 2008 (summers)
- John Stinson 2003 - 2004
- Jim Carrothers Jan 2003 – July 2003
- Casey Broxson 2002 - 2003
- Jennifer Davis Spring 2001 – May 2002
- Kevin Collins Spring and Summer 2000
- Feras Al-Kasab Spring 2000
- Matt Chapman 1999-00
- Karen Bennett 1999-00
Awards & Honors:
Other Awards and Honors:
DEPARTMENT, COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
- Chair, Environmental/Hydrosystems Faculty Search Committee, 2009-2010.
- Chair, Geosensing Engineering Faculty Search Committee, 2009-2010.
- Member, Infrastructure Search Committee, 2009-2010.
- Director, Environmental Graduate Engineering Program, January 2010 – current.
- Member, Computer Committee, 2004 – current.
- Chair, Computer Committee, 2003-2004
- ABET Committee, 2003-2009
- Faculty Search Committee, 2003-2009
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Self-Study, 2001-2002
- Member, Civil Infrastructure Institute Committee, 2000
- ABET Curriculum Committee, Member, 1998-2002
- P& T Committee, 2008-2010.
- Research Committee, 2008-current.
- Civil Engineering Chair Search Committee, 2008-2009.
- Electrical Engineering Chair Search Committee, 2009-2010
- Mechanical Engineering Chair Search Committee, 2009-2010
- Chemical Engineering Faculty Search Committee, 2008-2010
- Petroleum Engineering Faculty Search Committee, 2008-2010
- Industrial Engineering Faculty Search Committee, 2001-2003
- ABET Committee, 2002-2007
- Recruiting Committee, 1997-2002
- Minority Hiring, 1998
- Computer Committee, 2000-2009
- Founding Advisor EWB-UH
- Shell Technical Writing Skills Project Steering Committee, 2000.
- University Scholarship Awards Committee, 2004-current.
- University Scholarship Appeals Committee, 2004-current.
- Engineering Dean Search Committee, 2007.
- Chair, Discovery Curriculum Task Force (a QEP Program), 2008-2010.
- Advisory Board member, Discovery (Quality Enhancement Planning), 2008-2010.
- Quality Enhancement Planning Committee, 2007-2008.
- Distinguished Professors and Chairs Committee, 2009-2010.
- UH-VSA Committee (voluntary self assessment), 2008-current.
- Mentored six GK-12 teachers as part of UH NSF funded RET Program, Summers 2005-2009.
- Mentored a senior in high school in research, summer 2006.
- Participated in teaching summer sessions for GRADE camp (female high school students), 2008-2009.
- 1 Masters and 1 PhD graduate students are GK-12 fellows at local high schools since June 09.
Dr. Rifai's expertise includes ground water flow and transport modeling, risk assessment, natural attenuation, hazardous waste, hydrology, urban storm water quality, non-point source pollution, Total Maximum Daily Loads, Water Quality Modeling, Decision Support Systems and Geographic Information Systems. In addition to authoring the widely-used BIOPLUME II, BIOPLUME III and BIOPLUME IV computer models for biodegradation and natural attenuation modeling, Dr. Rifai has built and manages the GIS (Geographical Information Systems) computer laboratory in the department.
Sponsored Research / Research Grant:
- Lecturer and Course Co-Organizer, AECOM Libya Knowledge Transfer Program, Aug – Nov 2008, Feb – April 2009, May – August 2009, Jan – March 2010.
- Lecturer and Course Organizer, Natural Attenuation of Fuel Hydrocarbons and Chlorinated Solvents: Processes, Monitoring and Modeling with BIOSCREEN and BIOPLUME III, UH Training Course, February, May 2004, and May 2006, held at University of Houston, Houston, Texas.
- Lecturer and Course Organizer, Remediation by Natural Attenuation, ASTM Training Course, March, May, September, December 2001, Mar, May, Sept. and Nov. 2002, held at University of Houston, Houston, Texas.
- Lecturer, Risk Based Corrective Action for USTs: The ASTM Guidelines, ASTM Training, Course presented to Exploration and Production Audience, August 2001, Houston, Texas.
- Presenter, NEXRAD Radar Applications in Engineering Hydrology and Water Resources, Short course at Rice University, Oct 26-27, 2000, Houston, Texas.
- Course Organizer, The Texas Risk Reduction Rules, Offerings in 5 cities in Texas (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Midland), April – May 2000.
- Lecturer, Natural Attenuation of Fuel Hydrocarbons and Chlorinated Solvents: Processes, Monitoring and Modeling with BIOSCREEN and BIOPLUME III, National Ground Water Association Training Course, Jan. 99, May 99 and Sept. 99.
- Lecturer, Remediation by Natural Attenuation, ASTM Training Course, Nov. 98.
- Lecturer, Modeling Natural Attenuation Using the BIOPLUME III Decision Support System, Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, Nov 98, San Antonio, Texas.
- Course Organizer, Risk Based Corrective Action for USTs: The ASTM Guidelines, June 98, Nov. 98, Mar. 99 and June 99, held at University of Houston, Houston, Texas.
- Course Organizer and Lecturer, Risk Based Corrective Action for USTs: The ASTM Guidelines, June 96, Aug. 96, Sept. 96 (2 courses), Dec. 96, March 97, Nov. 97, Mar. 98, held at Rice University (1996 courses and Mar 97) and University of Houston (Nov 97 and Mar 98), Houston, Texas.
- Course Co-Organizer, Train the Trainer: the ASTM RBCA Toolkit, ASTM Training Course, Jan. 98.
- Lecturer, Modeling Natural Attenuation Using the BIOPLUME III Decision Support System, (2,1-day sessions), Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, Oct. 97, San Antonio, Texas.
- Lecturer, Risk Based Corrective Action Applied at Petroleum Release Sites, ASTM Training Course, April 96, November 96, January 97, August 97, Nov. 97, Dec. 98, Mar. 99.
- Lecturer, Intrinsic Remediation: Principles, Applications and Case Studies, INET Training Course, October 1995, February 96.
- Course Organizer and Lecturer, BIOPLUME II Modeling, U. S. Corps of Engineers, May 1995. Lecturer, U. S. Air Force Environmental Restoration Technology Transfer Symposium, January 1993 and November 1994, San Antonio, Texas.
- Lecturer, BIOPLUME II Modeling, Nov. 93, held at Engineering Science headquarters, Houston, Texas.
- Lecturer, Bioremediation of Contaminated Ground Water, Superfund University Training Institute, May 1993.
- Lecturer, Subsurface and Ground Water Modeling, Superfund University Training Institute, September 1991, March and November 1992, March 1993.
- Lecturer, Biodegradation Modeling, May 1988, held at Dow Chemical Company headquarters, Houston, Texas.
- Lecturer, Transport and Fate of Contaminants in Subsurface, Superfund University Training Institute, January and June 1991, October and December 1992, May 1993.
- Lecturer, Ground Water Modeling, November 1987, March 1988, November 1988, March 1989, held at Rice University, Houston, Texas.
- Lecturer, Introduction to Ground Water, March 1987, March 1988, held at Rice University, Houston, Texas.
Invited Presentations / Lectures:
Refereed Journal Publications:
Editorial Activities / Discussions in Refereed Journals:
Books / Book Chapters:
Conference Proceedings / Technical Papers Published in Refereed Conference Proceedings:
Reports / Manuals:
Newell, C. J., H. S. Rifai, J. T. Wilson, J. A. Connor, J. A. Aziz, and M. P. Suarez, Calculation and Use of First-Order Rate Constants for Monitored Natural Attenuation Studies, EPA/540/S-02/500, 27 pp, Nov. 2002.
Co-authored TNRCC Regulatory Guidance, Remediation Division, RG-366/TRRP-33, Monitored Natural Attenuation Demonstrations, October 2001.
Co-Authored EPA SAB Report, Monitored Natural Attenuation: USEPA Research Program–An EPA Science Advisory Board Review, EPA-SAB-EEC-01-004, May 2001, 46 pp., 2001.
Rifai, H. S., and C. J. Newell, Estimating First Order Decay Coefficients for Petroleum Hydrocarbon Biodegradation, API (American Petroleum Institute) Technical Brief, in press, American Petroleum Institute (API), Washington, DC, 16 pp., 2000.
Newell, C. J., H. S. Rifai, P. B. Bedient, F. Shipley, and R. McFarlane, The State of the Bay: A Characterization of the Galveston Bay Ecosystem, Galveston Bay National Estuary Program (GBNEP-44), Clear Lake, TX, 232 p., 1994.
Newell, C. J., H. S. Rifai, and P. B. Bedient, Characterization of Non-Point Sources and Loadings to Galveston Bay, Galveston Bay National Estuary Program (GBNEP-15), Clear Lake, Houston, 33 pp., 1992.
Newell, C. J., J. F. Haasbeek, L. P. Hopkins, S. E. Alder-Schaller, H. S. Rifai, P. B. Bedient, G. A. Gorry, OASIS: Parameter Estimation System For Aquifer Restoration Models, User's Manual Version 2.0, EPA/600/S8-90/039, 1990.
Rifai, H. S., P. B. Bedient, and J. T. Wilson, BIOPLUME Model for Contaminant Transport Affected by Oxygen Limited Biodegradation, EPA/600/M-89/019, 1989.
Aziz, J. J., C. J. Newell, H. S. Rifai, M. Ling, and J. R. Gonzales, Monitoring and Remediation Optimization System (MAROS) SOFTWARE User’s Guide, Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, San Antonio, TX, 2000.
Rifai, H. S., C. J. Newell, J. R. Gonzales, S. Dendrou, B. Dendrou, L. Kennedy, J. Wilson, BIOPLUME III – Natural Attenuation Decision Support System, User's Manual, Version 1.0, Air Force Center For Environmental Excellence, San Antonio, TX, 272 p., 1996.
Newell, C. J., J. F. Haasbeek, L. P. Hopkins, S. E. Alder-Schaller, H. S. Rifai, P. B. Bedient, G. A. Gorry, OASIS: Parameter Estimation System For Aquifer Restoration Models, User's Manual Version 2.0, Robert S. Kerr Laboratory, Ada, OK, 51 p., 1990.
Rifai, H. S., P. B. Bedient, R. C. Borden, and J. F. Haasbeek, BIOPLUME II - Computer Model of Two-Dimensional Contaminant Transport under the Influence of Oxygen Limited Biodegradation in Ground Water, User's Manual, Version 1.0, Rice University, Houston, TX, 100 p., 1987.