University of Houston
Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
N107 Engineering Bldg 1
4726 Calhoun Rd
Houston, TX 77204-4003
Debora Rodrigues, Ph.D.
UH Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
N136 Engineering Building 1, Houston, TX 77204-4003
Phone: 713-743-1495 | Fax: 713-743-4260
Email: dfrigirodrigues [at] uh [dot] edu
- Ph.D., Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, 2002-2007
- M.S. in Sciences, Microbiology, University of São Paulo, Brazil, 2000- 2002
- B.S. in Biology and Biology Education, University of São Paulo, Brazil, 1995- 1999
|2010-Present||Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cullen College of Engineering, University of Houston, Houston, Texas|
Yale University, Environmental Engineering Program, Chemical Engineering Department – Advisor: Dr. Menachem Elimelech
Michigan State University, Center for Microbial Ecology/Microbiology and Molecular Genetics Department Ph.D. Degree, Graduate Research Assistant - Advisor: Dr. James Tiedje
Thesis Title: Ecology, physiology and metabolism of cold-adapted Microorganisms from the Siberian permafrost
University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, Microbiology Department
Masters Degree, Graduate Research Assistant - Advisor: Dr. Vivian Helena Pellizari
Thesis title: Polyphasic characterization of xenobiotic pollutant-degrading bacteria diversity in Santos Estuary.
Ambiterra Ltda. Environmental Technology, São Paulo, Brazil. Microbiologist consultant
Responsible for conducting validation tests in a hospital waste-treatment plant for environmental agencies in São Paulo (CETESB and São Paulo Secretary of Green and Environment).
University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, Microbiology department Undergraduate Research assistant
Advisor: Dr. Vivian Helena Pellizari/ Dr. James Tiedje
University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, Biology department Undergraduate Research assistant
Advisors: Dr. Maria Rita Passos-Bueno/ Dr. Mayana Zatz
Investigated leporine lips and cleft palate gene association in the Brazilian population. Provided technical help to demonstrate linkage of two Duchene muscular dystrophy-like families to 5q33-34.
- CIVE 4331 - Water Quality
- CIVE 6391- Environmental Engineering Microbiology
- CIVE 7397- Advanced Environmental Engineering Microbiology
- Sean Smith (Ph.D. candidate)
- Hang N. Nguyen (Ph.D. candidate)
- Fan Jingjing (Ph.D candidate)
- Caitlin Carrigan ( M.S. student)
- Felipe Ibañez (Post-doctoral fellow)
- Enrico Nadres (Post-doctoral fellow)
- Aries Solenn Arcega (Ph.D. visiting scholar from UP Diliman)
- Natalia R. Guimarães (Ph.D. visiting Scholar from USP - Brazil)
- Jem Perez (Ph.D. visiting scholar from UP Diliman)
- Mr. Fatih Aksoy (2015-2016) (Ph.D. visiting scholar from Izmir Katip Celebi University, Turkey)
Former Laboratory Members
- Dr. Farid Ahmed (UH Ph.D. graduate)
- Dr. Isis Mejias (UH Ph.D. graduate)
- Dr. Tugba Onal Okyay (UH Ph.D. graduate)
- Dr. Catherine M. Santos (Laboratory manager)
- Dr. Yvonne Musico (UP Diliman Ph.D. Graduate)
- Dr. Ruji Medina (UP Diliman Ph.D. Graduate )
- Ms. Natália R. Guimarães (Visiting Ph.D. student University of Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Mr. Alex Leon (undergraduate)
- Ms. Krystal Gutierrez (undergraduate)
- Mr. Mark Sharpe (undergraduate)
- Ms. Yolci Ruiz Velazquez (undergraduate)
- Ms. Sarah Rai (undergraduate)
- Ms. Kelly Hainline (undergraduate)
- Ms. Lauren Blake (undergraduate)
- Ms. Mariana Reis Monteiro da Cruz (undergraduate)
* Prof. Liqiu Zhang (Guangzhou University, China) -2015-2016
* Prof. Shugeng Li (Guangzhou University, China)- 2015-2016
Awards and Honors
- DOE -RPSEA award in 2014 "Measuring Oil Concentration in Subsea Produced Water Discharge". Award amount: $ 325,884
- NSF I-Corps award recipient in 2013: “Graphene-based nanocomposite filters for antibacterial and heavy metal removal”. Award amount: $50,000
- Grant recipient of Grants to Enhance and Advance Research (GEAR) in 2013:" Development of multifunctional Carbon-Based Nanomaterial Composite Coatings and corrosion". Award amount: $30,000
- NSF Career Award Grant recipient in 2012: “Toxicology of graphene-based nanomaterials: A molecular biotechnology approach”. Award amount: $ 449,367.
- Grant recipient of RET in Engineering and Computer Science Site at the University of Houston in 2011: “Innovations in Nanotechnology”. Award amount: $ 429,288
- Grant recipient of New Faculty Research Program – University of Houston in 2010. Award amount: $6,000
- Gordon Research Conference on Environmental Sciences: Water (USA): Travel award, $750 (2008)
- AEESP meeting (USA): Travel award, $500 (2009)
- IWA Specialist Conference on Applications of Nanotechnology in the Water Sector fellowship: Travel award, $2,100 (2011)
- Institute in Drinking Water Treatment (USA): Travel award, $500 (2014)
Awards and Fellowships:
- FAPESP (Brazil): Graduate Research Fellowship, $ 10,500 (2000-2002).
- FAPESP (Brazil): Research Support Fellowship, $2,100 (2000).
- CNPq – Brazilian Antarctic Program (Proantar) (Brazil): Antarctic research fellowship, $2,100 (2000).
- CNPq-PIBIC (Brazil): undergraduate research fellowship, $1,600 (1998)
- CNPq-PIBIC (Brazil): undergraduate research fellowship, $1,600 (1995)
- Michigan State University: graduate research assistanship (USA), $67,830 (2002-2007).
- Marvis A. Richardson Fellowship (USA), $ 2,000 (2006)
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellowship (USA), $2,075 (2011)
- Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award from the University of Houston Commission on Women (2013), $1,000
- UH Cullen College of Engineering Outstanding Teaching Award (2013)
- UH CEE Outstanding faculty award (2013)
- UH President letter of appreciation for my commitment to the institution and UH students (2014)
- Recipient of the Certificate of Appreciation from the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship for supporting and mentoring undergraduate students (2014)
- Recipient of Certificate of Excellence in recognition of extraordinary achievements by the UH Provost (2014)
- NSF RET (Research experience for teachers) outreach Program earned the Spot on the U.S. President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll (2014)
- Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization Emerging Investigator Award (2014)
STUDENT AWARDS AND HONORS:
- Ms. Jingjing Fan receives second place in the best elevated speech of her research project at the SNO conference (2014)
- Dr. Tugba Onal Okyay receives second place for the best Ph.D. dissertation award in the UH College of Engineering (2015)
The central topic of my research interest is water quality and sustainability. My research is divided in three main topics: (i) better understanding of the aquatic system and its microbial ecology; (ii) investigation of the effects of nanomaterials on the environment (more specifically, carbon-based nanomaterials) through application of molecular biology and nanotoxicological tools, and; (iii) development of new nanotechonologies and biotechnologies to keep the aquatic system safe and remove unwanted contaminants.
- Fan, J.; Rodrigues, D.F. Photocatalytic Antimicrobial Properties of 1T-MoS2 and 2H-MoS2 in the presence of electron donor and visible light. Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO).Boston, MA, Nov. 2-4, 2014.
- Rodrigues, D. F., Mejias, I.C. Graphene oxide functionalized with ethylenediamine triacetic acid for heavy metal adsorption and anti-microbial applications. Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO). Boston, MA, Nov. 2-4, 2014.
- Rodrigues, D.F. Impact of Nanomaterials on Environmental Microbial Communities: perspectives for Future applications. Georgia Institute of Technology. Atlanta, GA, March 13th, 2014. (invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F. Environmental Engineering Implications and applications of carbon-based nanomaterials. University of Southern California. Los Angeles, CA, March 10th, 2014. (invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F. Environmental Engineering Implications and applications of carbon-based nanomaterials. University of Washington. Seattle, WA, February 24th, 2014. (invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F. Environmental Engineering Implications and applications of carbon-based nanomaterials. Princeton University. Princeton, NJ, February 17th, 2014. (invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F. Sustainable Application of Nanocomposites for the Water and Energy Nexus. Rice University, Houston, TX, February 14th, 2014. (Invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F., Environmental Applications of graphene oxide nanocomposites on surfaces. Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO). Santa Barbara, CA, Nov. 2-5, 2013.
- Ahmed, F. and Rodrigues, D.F. The Impact of Graphene Oxide on aquatic biogeochemical cycle, World Environmental and Water Resource Congress, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 19-23, 2013.
- Ahmed, F. and Rodrigues, D.F., Investigation of acute effects of graphene oxide on wasterwater microbial community: A Case Study, Gordon Research Conference on Environmental Nanotechnology, Stowe, Vermont, June 2-7, 2013.
- Onal Okyay, T.; Rodrigues, D. F., Microbial calcium carbonate precipitation and its contribution to the environment. University Forum at Texas Water 2013, WEAT and Texas Section AWWA Annual Conference, April 9-12, 2013, Galveston, TX.
- Ahmed, F.; Rodrigues, D.F. Investigation of acute toxicity of Graphene Oxide on wastewater microbial communities and related short term effects on wastewater treatment process performance: a case study on Sims South Bayou wastewater treatment plant, Houston, Texas . University Forum of Texas Water Exhibition , April 09-12, 2013, Galveston, Tx.
- Onal Okyay, T.; Rodrigues, D. F., Application of response surface methodology for the optimized precipitation of calcium carbonate using Sporosarcina pasteurii. Annual Fall Meeting of the Texas Branch of the American Society for Microbiology, October 18-20, 2012, Waco, TX.
- Rodrigues, D. F.; Ahmed. Application of membranes containing single-walled carbon nanotube-polymer nanocomposites for water treatment. 68th Southwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, November 4-7, 2012. Baton Rouge, LA. (invited Talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F; Ahmed, F.; Santos, C.M. PVK-SWNT and PVK-MWNT coated stainless steel for prevention of microbial growth and corrosion. ASME 2012, November 15th, 2012. Houston, TX.
- Carpio, I.E., C.M. Santos, R.C. Advincula, D.F.Rodrigues. Environmental Engineering applications of graphene oxide nanomaterials: 243rd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, March 25-29th, 2012. San Diego, CA.
- Rodrigues, D.F. Applications of graphene oxide nanomaterials on surfaces. 32nd PAASE Meeting, May 5th, 2012, Houston, TX. (Invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D. F. Environmental Engineering applications of carbon-based nanomaterials. University of Texas San Antonio, April 6th 2012, San Antonio, TX.
- Ahmed, F.; Santos, C.M.; Advincula, R.; Rodrigues, D.F. Protection of Stainless Steel Surfaces Against Biofilm Formation and Corrosion by Nanocomposite Coatings. 6th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, June 25-29, 2012, Houston, TX.
- Ahmed, F., D.F. Rodrigues. Application of Electroactive PVK-SWNT Nanocomposite as Effective Antimicrobial Coating Material for Membrane Filter. Texas Water, April 10-13th 2012, San Antonio, TX.
- Claydon, F.; Long, S.; Rodrigues, D.F. Research Experience for Teachers (RET) site at the University of Houston (UH) “ Innovations in Nanotechnology”. National Science Foundation Engineering Education Awardees Conference, March 4-6th, 2012. Arlington, Virginia.
- Santos, C.M., R.C. Advincula, D.F. Rodrigues. Fabrication and antibacterial applications of carbon nanomaterial containing polymer based nanocomposites: 243rd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, March 25-29th 2012, San Diego, CA.
- Borba, T. R., S. K. Sakata, R.V.P. Ferreira, M. H. Bellini, D. F. Rodrigues, J. T. Marumo. Application of Bacteria to Remove Americium from Radioactive Liquid Waste: WM2011 Conference, February 27 - March 3, 2011, Phoenix, AZ.
- Ahmed F., C. M. Santos, K. M. Cui, R.C. Advincula, D. F. Rodrigues*. Antimicrobial Properties of Membrane-filters modified with carbon-based nanomaterials: IWA (International Water Association) Conference, 15-18 May 2011, Monte Verita, Switzerland. (*Invited talk)
- Rodrigues, D.F., 2010. Microbial Interactions with Carbon nanotubes: from single cells to biofilms. In: University of Houston, Houston, July 23th. (Invited talk for the UH-AGEP program).
- Rodrigues, D. F., 2009.Microbial Interactions with Carbon nanotubes: from single cells to biofilms. In: University of Texas, San Antonio, March 19th. (Invited talk).
- Rodrigues, D. F., 2009.Microbial Interactions with Carbon nanotubes: from single cells to biofilms. In: University of Delaware, March 11th. (Invited talk).
- Rodrigues, D. F., 2009. Biogeography, Diversity, and Physiology of Extreme Microbes. In: Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, January 29th. (Invited talk).
- Rodrigues, D.F., 2009. Microbial Interactions with Carbon nanotubes: from single cells to biofilms. In: University of California, Los Angeles, January 27th. (Invited talk).
- Rodrigues, D. F., Elimelech, M. 2008. Influence of D-mannose on Biofilm Formation. In: Gordon Research Conference on Environmental Sciences: Water, Holderness, NH, June 22-27.
- Rodrigues, D.F., Elimelech, M. 2008. Influence of Carbon Source on Biofilm Formation. In: 235th ACS meeting, New Orleans, April 10th.
- Rodrigues, D.F., H.L. Ayala-del-Río, D. Gilichinsky, V.H. Pellizari, E.C. Jesus, L. Sepulveda-Torres, J.M. Tiedje. 2007. Is the Bass-Becking Hypothesis true: “The Environment Selects and is Responsible for Spatial Variation in Microbial Diversity?”. Amer. Soc. Microbiol. General Meeting, Toronto, Canada. # N-026.
- Rodrigues, D. F., Ivanova, N. & Tiedje, J.M. 2006. Metabolism inference from the genome of Exiguobacterium sibiricum sp. isolated from the Siberian permafrost [Abstract]. Amer. Soc. Microbiol. General Meeting, Orlando, FL. # K-080.
- Rodrigues, D.F., H.L. Ayala-del-Río,C.-J. Lin, D.Gilichinsky, J.M. Tiedje. 2006. Detection and Quantification in the Siberian permafrost of Exiguobacterium sp. and Psychrobacter sp. through quantitative real-time PCR. In: International Conference on Alpine and Polar Microbiology, Innsbruck, Austria, March 27-31.
- Rodrigues, D.F., C.J. Lin, N.K. Rehman, D. Gilichinsky, J.M. Tiedje. 2005. Exiguobacterium spp. abundance in the Siberian permafrost. Abstract 39. In: The Joint International Symposia for Subsurface Microbiology (ISSM 2005) and Environmental Biochemistry (ISEB XVII), Jackson Hole, WY, Aug. 14-19.
- Vishnivetskaya, T. A., R. Ramaley, D. F. Rodrigues, J. M. Tiedje, and S. Kathariou. 2005. Exiguobacterium from frozen subsurface sediments (Siberian Permafrost) and other sources have growth temperature ranges reflective of the environmental thermocline of their origin. Abstract 254. In: The Joint International Symposia for Subsurface Microbiology (ISSM 2005) and Environmental Biogeochemistry (ISEB XVII), Jackson Hole, WY, August 14-19.
- Rodrigues, D.F., J. Goris, M.F. Thomashow, J.M. Tiedje. 2005. Phylogeny of three Exiguobacterium isolates from Arctic permafrost. Astrobiology 5:264.
- Gilmour J.S., D. Rodrigues, J.M. Tiedje, D.M. Lubman, M.F. Thomashow. 2002. Changes in Gene Expression in Response to low temperature in two Psychrobacter isolates from Arctic Permafrost. Astrobiology 2: 549.
- Rodrigues, D.F., A. C. Lopez, G.T. Yogui, R.C. Montone, M. Bícego, G. Manfio, V.H. Pellizari. 2001. Isolation and characterization of hydrocarbons and polychlorinated biphenyl bacterial consortia from Santos Estuary. In: XXI Brazilian Conference in microbiology. Foz do Iguaçu, RS, Brazil.
- Gilson, P.M., V.H. Pellizari, V.M. de Oliveira, R.F. Vazoller, A. Conationi, D.F. Rodrigues, G. Bellincanta, F.F. Piza, C. R. Nakayama, F. Talarico. 2000. Diversity of aerobic organochlorine-degrading bacteria in nature. In:I Biota/FAPESP program symposia. São Paulo, Brazil.
- Rodrigues, D.F., B.A. Matos, A. Pacheco, V.H. Pellizari. 2000. Transport and retention of coliphage T4 in soil Columns from a Cemetery in São Paulo, Brazil. In: International Water Association Health - Related Water Microbiology Symposium. Paris, France. July 3-7.
- Rodrigues, D.F., G.B.Ghion, A.Rubin, R.Montone, R.R.Weber, V.H.Pellizari. 1999.
- Rodrigues, D. F. Characterization and degradation ability of bacteria isolated from Antarctica. In: The Joint 1o International Scientific Initiation Symposia and 7o Scientific Initiation of University of São Paulo, Brazil.
- Rodrigues, D.F., M.R. Passos-Bueno. 1996. Leporine lips and cleft palates gene association in the Brazilian population. In: 4o Scientific Initiation of University of São Paulo, Brazil.
Reviewer for Scholarly Journals
Environmental Science and Technology, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, FEMS Microbiology Letter, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Journal of Biotechnology, Antarctic Science, Current Microbiology, Journal of Basic Microbiology, Global Research Journal of Microbiology, Biofouling, Extremophiles, Open Forensic Science Journal, Journal of Environmental Informatics, RSC Advances, Soft Matter, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, Analytical Methods, Journal of Zhejiang University Science B, International Journal of Ambient Energy, nanoscale, Langmuir, Toxicology Research, ACS nano, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Analyst, Journal of Hazardous materials, Carbon, Analytical Chemistry, Water Research, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Chemical Engineering Journal, Science of the Total Environment, polymers, metallomics, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, chemosphere, BMC Genomics, Bioresource Technology, Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, Analytical Methods, Environmental Engineering Science, Water Environment Research, Environmental Chemistry Letters, ES&T Letters, PLOS ONE, Applied Surface Science, Ecological Engineering, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, Journal of Microbiological Methods, Materials Research Bulletin.
Referred Journal Publications (in chronological order)
1. Smith, S.C.; Rodrigues, D.F. Carbon-Based Nanomaterials for Removal of Chemical and Biological Contaminants from Water: A Review of Mechanisms and Applications. 2015. Carbon. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2015.04.043
2. Onal, T.O.; Rodrigues, D.F. Biotic and abiotic effects on CO2 sequestration during microbially-induced calcium carbonate precipitation. 2015. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. doi: 10.1093/femsec/fiv017.
3. J. D. Mangadlao, C. M. Santos, M. J. L. Felipe, A. C. C. de Leon, D. F. Rodrigues and R. C. Advincula. On the antibacterial mechanism of graphene oxide (GO) Langmuir–Blodgett films. 2015. Chem. Commun. DOI: 10.1039/C4CC07836E.
4. Onal, T.O.; Bala, R.K.; Nguyen, H.N; Atalay, R.; Bayam, Y.; Rodrigues, D.F. Antibacterial Properties and Mechanisms of Toxicity of Sonochemically Grown ZnO Nanorods. 2015. RSC Advances. V. 5 (4), p. 2568-2575. ( DOI: 10.1039/C4RA12539H).
5. Beless, B., Rifai, H.S.,Rodrigues, D.F. Efficacy of Carbonaceous Materials for Sorbing Polychlorinated Biphenyls from Aqueous Solution. 2014. ES&T. v.48 (17), p. 10372-10379 .
6. Fan, Jingjing, Onal, T.O.; Rodrigues, D.F. The synergism of temperature, pH and growth phases on heavy metal biosorption by two environmental isolates. 2014. J. Hazardous materials.v. 279, p. 236-243.
7. Mejías, I.E.C.; Santelli, G.l; Sakata, S.; Filho, S.S.F.; Rodrigues, D.F. Copper removal using a heavy-metal resistant microbial consortium in a fixed-bed reactor. 2014. Water Res. v. 62, p.156-166.
8. Mejías, I.E.C.; Mangadlao, J.D.; Nguyen, H.; Advincula, R.C.; Rodrigues, D. F. Non-human cytotoxic Graphene Oxide functionalized with ethylenediamine triacetic acid for Heavy Metal Adsorption and Anti-microbial applications. 2014. Carbon, V. 77, p. 289–301. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2014.05.032.
9. Musico, Y.L.F.; Santos, C.M.; Dalida, M.L.; Rodrigues, D.F. Surface modification of membrane filters using graphene-based nanomaterials for bacterial inactivation and removal. 2014. ACS Sustain Chem Eng, v. 2 (7), p. 1559–1565. dx.doi.org/10.1021/sc500044p
10. Smith, S.C.; Ahmed, F.; Gutierrez, K.; Rodrigues, D.F. A Comparative Study of Protein Adsorption with Graphene, Graphene Oxide, and Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes: Potential Environmental Applications. 2014. Chem. Eng. J. v. 240, p. 147-154.
11. Onal, T.O.; Rodrigues, D.F. Optimized carbonate micro-particle production by Sporosarcina pasteurii using response surface methodology . 2014. Ecol. Eng. J. V. 62, 168–174.
12. Onal, T.O.; Rodrigues, D.F. High Throughput Colorimetric Assay for Rapid Urease Activity Quantification. 2013.J. Microbiol. Methods. V.95 (3), 324–326.
13. Ahmed, F.; Santos, C.M.; Rodrigues, D.F. Implications of Graphene Oxide on wastewater microbial communities and wastewater treatment process performance. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 256– 257 (2013) 33– 39.
14. Ahmed, F.; Santos, C.M.; Mangadlao, J.; Advincula, R.; Rodrigues, D.F. Application of electroactive PVK-SWNT nanocomposite as effective antimicrobial coating material for membrane filter. 2013. Water Research, V. 47 (12), 3966–3975.
15. Smith S.C., Rodrigues D.F. The Fate of Carbon-Based Nanomaterials in the Environment. J Bioremed Biodeg, 2013. 3:e129. doi:10.4172/2155-6199.1000e129.
16. Musico, Y.L.F.; Santos, C.M.; Dalida, M.L.; Rodrigues, D.F. Improved removal of lead(II) from water using a polymer-based graphene oxide nanocomposite. J Mat Chem A. 2013, 1 (11), 3789 - 3796 ( DOI: 10.1039/c3ta01616a)
17. Rodrigues, D.F.; Jaisi, D.; Elimelech, M., Toxicity of Functionalized Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes on Soil Microbial Communities: Implications for Nutrient Cycling in Soil. Environmental Science & Technology. 2013 Jan 2;47(1):625-33 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es304002q)
18. Pangilinan, K.D.; Santos, C.M.; Estillore, N.C.; Rodrigues, D.F.; Advincula, R.C. Temperature-Responsiveness and Antimicrobial Properties of CNT–PNIPAM Hybrid Brush Films. Macromol. Chem.Physic.2012 (DOI: 10.1002/macp.201200464)
19. Santos, C.M.; Mangadlao, J.; Leon, A.; Ahmed, F.; Advincula, R.C.; Rodrigues, D.F.. Graphene nanocomposites for biomedical applications: Fabrication, Characterization, Antimicrobial and Cytotoxic investigations Nanotechnology 2012 Oct 5;23(39):395101.
20. Mejías, C. I. E.; Wei, X.; Rodrigues, D.F., Toxicity of a polymer-graphene oxide composite against bacterial planktonic cells, biofilms, and mammalian cells. Nanoscale 2012. v.4, p.4746-4756.
21. Ahmed, F.; Santos, C. M.; Vergara, R. A. M. V.; Tria, M. C. R.; Advincula, R. C.; Rodrigues, D. F., Antimicrobial applications of electroactive PVK-SWNT nanocomposites. Environmental Science & Technology 2012. v.46, p. 1804-1810.
22. Santos, C. M.; Milagros Cui, K.; Ahmed, F.; Tria, M. C. R.; Vergara, R. A. M. V.; Leon, A. C.; Advincula, R. C.; Rodrigues, D. F., Bactericidal and Anticorrosion Properties in PVK/MWNT Nanocomposite Coatings on Stainless Steel. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering 2012. v. 297, 807-813.
23. Santos, C. M.; Tria, M. C. R.; Vergara, R. A. M. V.; Ahmed, F.; Advincula, R. C.; Rodrigues, D. F., Antimicrobial graphene polymer (PVK-GO) nanocomposite films. Chemical Communications,2011. 47 (31), 8892 – 8894.
24. Rodrigues, D.F., Biofilters: A Solution for Heavy Metals Removal from Water. J Bioremed Biodegrad 2011, 2, e101.
25. Vishnivetskaya, T. A.; Lucas, S.; Copeland, A.; Lapidus, A.; del Rio, T. G.; Dalin, E.; Tice, H.; Bruce, D. C.; Goodwin, L. A.; Pitluck, S., Saunders E, Brettin T, Detter C, Han C, Larimer F, Land ML, Hauser LJ, Kyrpides NC, Ovchinnikova G, Kathariou S, Ramaley RF, Rodrigues DF, Hendrix C, Richardson P, Tiedje JM. Complete genome sequence of the thermophilic bacterium Exiguobacterium sp. AT1b. Journal of bacteriology 2011, 193, (11), 2880-2881.
26. Pernites, R. B.; Santos, C. M.; Maldonado, M.; Ponnapati, R. R.; Rodrigues, D. F.; Advincula, R. C., Tunable Protein and Bacterial Cell Adsorption on Colloidally Templated Superhydrophobic Polythiophene Films. Chemistry of Materials 2011. (in press DOI: 10.1021/cm2007044).
27. Rodrigues, D. F.; Elimelech, M., Toxic effects of single-walled carbon nanotubes in the development of E. coli biofilm. Environmental Science & Technology 2010, 44, (12), 4583-4589.
28. Ayala-del-Río, H. L.; Chain, P. S.; Grzymski, J. J.; Ponder, M. A.; Ivanova, N.; Bergholz, P. W.; Di Bartolo, G.; Hauser, L.; Land, M.; Bakermans, C.; Rodrigues, D.F.; Klappenback, J.; Zarka, D.; Larimer, F.; Richardson, P.; Murray, A.; Thomashow, M.; Tiedje, J.M. The genome sequence of Psychrobacter arcticus 273-4, a psychroactive Siberian permafrost bacterium, reveals mechanisms for adaptation to low-temperature growth. Applied and environmental microbiology 2010, 76, (7), 2304-2312.
29. Rodrigues, D. F.; Elimelech, M., Role of type 1 fimbriae and mannose in the development of Escherichia coli K12 biofilm: from initial cell adhesion to biofilm formation. Biofouling 2009, 25, (5), 401-411.
30. Rodrigues, D. F.; da C Jesus, E.; Ayala-del-Río, H. L.; Pellizari, V. H.; Gilichinsky, D.; Sepulveda-Torres, L.; Tiedje, J. M., Biogeography of two cold-adapted genera: Psychrobacter and Exiguobacterium. The ISME journal 2009, 3, (6), 658-665.
31. Rodrigues, D.F.; Sakata, S.; Comasseto, J.; Bícego, M.; Pellizari, V., Diversity of hydrocarbon‐degrading Klebsiella strains isolated from hydrocarbon‐contaminated estuaries. Journal of applied microbiology 2009, 106, (4), 1304-1314.
32. Rodrigues, D. F.; Tiedje, J. M., Coping with our cold planet. Applied and environmental microbiology 2008, 74, (6), 1677-1686.
33. Rodrigues, D.F.; Ivanova, N.; He, Z.; Huebner, M.; Zhou, J.; Tiedje, J., Architecture of thermal adaptation in an Exiguobacterium sibiricum strain isolated from 3 million year old permafrost: a genome and transcriptome approach. BMC genomics 2008, 9, (1), 547.
34. Kang, S.; Herzberg, M.; Rodrigues, D. F.; Elimelech, M., Antibacterial effects of carbon nanotubes: size does matter! Langmuir 2008, 24, (13), 6409-6413.
35. Rodrigues, D. F.; Tiedje, J. M., Multi‐locus real‐time PCR for quantitation of bacteria in the environment reveals Exiguobacterium to be prevalent in permafrost. FEMS microbiology ecology 2007, 59, (2), 489-499.
36. Rodrigues, D. F.; Goris, J.; Vishnivetskaya, T.; Gilichinsky, D.; Thomashow, M. F.; Tiedje, J. M., Characterization of Exiguobacterium isolates from the Siberian permafrost. Description of Exiguobacterium sibiricum sp. nov. Extremophiles 2006, 10, (4), 285-294.
37. Andrade, L. H.; Comasseto, J. V.; Rodrigues, D. F.; Pellizari, V. H.; Porto, A. L. M., Enantioselective reduction of ortho-substituted-acetophenones by bacterial strains isolated from medium enriched with biphenyl or diesel fuel. Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic 2005, 33, (3), 73-79.
38. Sakata, S. K.; Taniguchi, S.; Rodrigues, D. F.; Urano, M. E.; Wandermüren, M. N.; Pellizari, V. H.; Comasseto, J. V., Development of a static headspace gas chromatographic/mass spectrometric method to analyze the level of volatile contaminants biodegradation. Journal of Chromatography A 2004, 1048, (1), 67-71.
- Rodrigues, D.F. “Nanocomposite hydrogel polymer beads for water purification”. US Patent App., 2014.
- Rodrigues, D.F.; Advincula, R.; Claydon, F.; Santos, C.; Tria, M.C. “Nanocomposite PVK-graphene based nanomaterial filters for the simultaneous removal of bacteria and heavy metal”. WO Patent 2,013,039,895, 2013.
- Rodrigues, D.F.; Advincula, R.; Claydon, F.; Santos, C.; Tria, M.C. “Nanocomposite polymer-carbon based nanomaterial filters for the simultaneous removal of bacteria and heavy metals”. US Patent App. 13/609,179, 2012.
- Bakermans, C., P. W. Bergholz, D. F. Rodrigues, T. A. Vishnivetskaya, H. L. Ayala-del-Rio, and J. M. Tiedje. 2012. Genomic and expression analyses of cold-adapted microorganisms. In L. G. Whyte and B. Miller (ed.), Polar Microbiology. ASM Press, Washington, DC.
- Santos, C.M.; Tria, M.C.R.; Foster, E.; Advincula, R.C.; Rodrigues, D.F. Carbon-based polymer nanocomposites: From preparation to antimicrobial applications. In: Munoz-Bonilla, A.; Cerrada, M.L.; Fernandez-Garcia M., 2014, Polymeric Materials with antimicrobial activity: From synthesis to applications. Published by the Royal Society of Chemistry. ISBN: 9781849738071
Research with Graphene oxide and wastewater is featured in this website: