Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for admission to Environmental Engineering Program
- What is the deadline to apply to for the MS or PhD programs?
The deadline is February 15 of each year for the upcoming fall semester.
- Can I apply for the spring semester to the MS or PhD programs?
No. Typically, the program admits students for the fall semester. However, under special circumstances (determined on a case-by-case basis), a student may be offered admission for the spring semester. Applicants should email environmental [at] egr.uh.edu if they are interested in Spring admission.
- Can I apply for a PhD with only a bachelor's degree?
- How do I apply?
All students must submit an online application using the Graduate School Application Process.
- What criteria are used to admit students?
The Admissions Committee looks at grades, GRE and TOEFL scores, recommendation letters and the student statement of purpose. To be admitted, a student must receive approval from the Committee and the Associate Dean of Engineering for Graduate Programs.
- Is there a minimum GRE score?
The Quantitative + Verbal scores combined should be at least 301 (Verbal minimum is 150 and Quantitative minimum is 151); however, this does not guarantee admission.
- What kind of GRE is needed for the program?
The General GRE Exam.
- Is there a minimum TOEFL score?
Yes, please visit the English proficiency requirement from the Graduate School Webpage.
- Can GRE or TOEFL exam be waived?
All interested applicants must take the GRE. For international or permanent resident applicants, the TOEFL exam is required unless you have an undergraduate degree from a US institution. Please visit the English proficiency requirement from the Graduate School Webpage.
- What is the Institution Code for UH that ETS will report GRE and TOEFL scores?
The code for the University of Houston is 6870; no dept code is needed.
- What about the application fee?
The application fee information can be found at the Graduate School Admissions website.
- Can I contact individual faculty to help me get admitted?
No. The Admissions Committee, not individual faculty, makes all admission decisions.
- What about Financial Assistance?
All qualified candidates who are accepted into our PhD program receive full financial aid. No separate application is necessary for you to be considered for financial aid.
- How do I find tuition and fee costs?
For estimated costs, please review this web site.
- How many full-time students are admitted each year?
The number of full time students varies each year, but typically the Environmental Engineering program admits around 25-50 students per yr.
Last Updated: January 25, 2021