Chong Dai, Ph.D. student (Aug. 2013-present, graduated from Lehigh University)
Bo Cao, Ph.D. student (Jul. 2014-present, graduated from Tongji University)
Chengzhao Zhang, Ph.D. student (Oct. 2014-present, graduated from Northwest A & F University)
Ning Deng, Ph.D. student (Jul. 2016- present, graduated from Nanjing University)
Juanjuan Liu, visiting Ph.D. student (Sep. 2015-Aug. 2017, from Northwest A & F University)
Zhongyu Han, visiting M.S. student (Sep. 2015-Feb. 2016, from Northwest A & F University)
Xubo Gao, visiting professor (Jul. 2015-Nov. 2015) from China University of Geosciences, Wuhan
Jilong Guo, visiting Ph.D. student (Feb. 2015- Aug. 2015, China University of Geosciences, Beijing)
Cesar Gonzales, undergraduate student supported by SURF and PURS scholarship (May, 2015-May., 2016)
Tina Hahn, RET teacher from Clear Springs High School (Jun., 2015- Aug., 2015)
Jingcheng Xia, high school student (Jun., 2015- Aug., 2015)
Xiaoyin Tan, M.S. Student (Jan 2015-Jun 2015)
Nibhana Suvarna, M.S. student (Dec. 2013-Oct. 2014), now works at ARCADIS U.S. in Houston.
Debjani Chakravarty, undergraduate student supported by PURS scholarship (Sep. 2013-Dec. 2014)
Kevin Wang, visiting high school student (Jun. 2014-Aug. 2014)
Prospective student opportunities:
Currently there are Ph.D. student positions available. Students with strong interests in the research of our group, self-motivated, and having good chemistry background are encouraged to contact Yandi Hu (yhu11 [at] uh [dot] edu). Please send your CV with your GPA, TOEFL and GRE grades for an evaluation.
Visiting scholars, undergraduate and graduate students with strong interests in our research are also welcome to contact Yandi Hu (yhu11 [at] uh [dot] edu).
Awards & Honors:
From the nanoscale to the macroscale, my overarching aim is to apply advanced materials, techniques, and expertise in nanochemistry and geochemistry to multidisciplinary areas. Some specific interests include: engineered nucleation and growth of nanomaterials for biomedical and industrial applications, and surface and subsurface geochemical reactions related to geologic CO2 sequestration and hydraulic fracture operations, heavy metal immobilization, and scale formation control.
27. Chong Dai, Andrew G. Stack, Ayumi Koishi, Alejandro Fernandez-Martinez, Sang Soo Lee, and Yandi Hu. Heterogeneous Nucleation and Growth of Barium Sulfate at Organic-Water Interfaces: Interplay between Surface Hydrophobicity and Ba2+ Adsorption. Accepted by Langmuir
26. Xi Cao, Chen Liu, Yandi Hu, Wenli Yang#, Jiawei Chen, Synthesis of N/Fe Co-modified TiO2 Loaded on Bentonite for Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity under UV-Vis Light, accepted by Journal of Nanomaterials
25. Chong Dai, Xiaobing Zuo, Bo Cao, and Yandi Hu*, Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Precipitation of (Fex, Cr1-x)(OH)3 Nanoparticles: Implications for Aqueous Cr removal, Environmental Science & Technology, 2016, 50, 1741–1749
24. Xubo Gao, Yandi Hu, Chengcheng Li, Chong Dai, Liang Li, Xiong Ou, Yanxin Wang. Evaluation of fluorine release from air deposited coal spoil piles: a case study at Yangquan city, northern China. Science of the Total Environment, 2016, 545-546, 1-10
23. Jin Fan, Fei Liu, Yandi Hu and Jiawei Chen, Effects of pH and ionic composition on sorption/desorption of natural organic matter on zero-valent iron and magnetite nanoparticles. n and magnetite nanoparticles. Water Science & Technology, 2015, 72, 303-310
22. Chong Dai, Yandi Hu*, Fe(III) Hydroxide Nucleation and Growth on Quartz in the Presence of Cu(II), Pb(II), and Cr(III): Metal Hydrolysis and Adsorption. Environmental Science & Technology, 2015, 49, 292–300
21. Yandi Hu, Qingyun Li, Byeongdu Lee, and Young-Shin Jun. Aluminum affects heterogeneous Fe(III) (Hydr)oxide nucleation, growth, and Ostwald ripening. Environmental Science & Technology, 2014, 48 (1), 299–306.
20. Yandi Hu, Chelsea Neil, Byeongdu Lee, and Young-Shin Jun. Control of heterogeneous Fe(III) (hydr)oxide nucleation and growth on quartz, mica, and sapphire by interfacial energies and local saturations. Environmental Science & Technology, 2013, 47, 9198-9206
19. Yandi Hu, Jessica R. Ray, and Young-Shin Jun. Na+, Ca2+, and Mg2+ in brines affect supercritical CO2–brine–biotite interactions: ion exchange, biotite dissolution, and illite precipitation. Environmental Science & Technology, 2013, 47(1), 191-197
18. Alejandro Fernandez-Martinez, Yandi Hu, Byeongdu Lee, Young-Shin Jun, and Glenn A. Waychunas. In situ determination of interfacial energy between heterogeneously nucleated CaCO3 and quartz substrates: thermodynamics of CO2 mineral trapping. Environmental Science & Technology, 2013, 47 (1), 102-109
17. Yandi Hu and Young-Shin Jun. Biotite dissolution in brine at varied temperature and CO2 pressures: its activation energy and potential CO2 intercalation. Langmuir, 2012, 28 (41):14633-14641
16. Yandi Hu, Byeongdu Lee, Christopher Bell, and Young-Shin Jun. Environmentally abundant anions influence the nucleation, growth, Ostwald ripening, and aggregation of hydrous Fe(III) oxides. Langmuir, 2012, 28 (20), 7737−7746
15. A.V. Radha, Alejandro Fernandez-Martinez, Yandi Hu, Young-Shin Jun, Glenn A. Waychunas, and Alexandra Navrotsky. Energetic and structural studies of the amorphous Ca1-xMgxCO3·nH2O (0 ≤ x ≤ 1) systems. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2012, 90, 83-95
14. Daniel Garcia, Hongbo Shao, Yandi Hu, Jessica R. Ray, and Young-Shin Jun. Supercritical CO2-brine induced dissolution, swelling, and secondary mineral formation on phlogopite surfaces at 75-95°C and 75 atm. Energy & Environmental Science, 2012, 5, 5758-5767
13. Yandi Hu, Jessica R. Ray, and Young-Shin Jun. Biotite –brine interactions under acidic hydrothermal conditions: fibrous illite, goethite and kaolinite formation and biotite surface cracking. Environmental Science & Technology, 2011, 45 (14), 6175-6180
12. Bing Wu, Hongbo Shao, Zhipeng Wang, Yandi Hu, Yinjie J. Tang, and Young-Shin Jun. Viability and metal reduction of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 under CO2 stress: implications for ecological effects of CO2 leakage from geologic CO2 sequestration, Environmental Science & Technology, 2010, 44 (23), 9213–9218
11. Jian Zhou, Yan You, Zhipeng Bai, Yandi Hu, Jiefeng Zhang, and Nan Zhang. Health risk assessment of personal inhalation exposure to volatile organic compounds in Tianjin, China. Science of the Total Environment, 2011, 409, 452-459
10. Bin Han, Shaofei Kong, Zhipeng Bai, Gang Du, Tong Bi, Xiang Li, Guoliang Shi, and Yandi Hu. Characterization of elemental species in PM2.5 samples collected in four cities of northeast China. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 2010, 209, 1-4
9. Jun Wu, Xiaogang Tian, Ya Tang, Yujie Zhao, Yandi Hu, Zili Fang. Application of analytic hierarchy process-grey target theory systematic model in comprehensive evaluation of water environmental quality. Water Environment Research, 2010, 82 (7), 633-641
8. Zhipeng Bai, Yandi Hu, Huan Yu, Nan Wu, and Yan You. Quantitative health risk assessment of inhalation exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons on citizens in Tianjin, China, Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2009, 83, 151-154
7. Shitao Peng, Mingxin Dai, Yandi Hu, Zhipeng Bai, and Ran Zhou. Long-term (1996-2006) variation of nitrogen and phosphorus and their spatial distributions in Tianjin coastal seawater. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2009, 83, 416-421
6. Bin Han, Zhipeng Bai, Guanghuan Guo, Fang Wang, Fu Li, Qiuxin Liu, Yaqin Ji, Xiang Li, and Yandi Hu. Characterization of PM10 fraction of road dust for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from Anshan, China, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2009,170, 934-940
5. Yandi Hu, Zhipeng Bai, Liwen Zhang, Xue Wang, Li Zhang, Qingchan Yu, and Tan Zhu. Health risk assessment for traffic policemen exposed to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Tianjin, China. Science of the Total Environment, 2007, 382, 240-2505.
4. Yandi Hu, Zhipeng Bai ,Yingchang Feng, Yujie Zhao, and Jianhui Wu. Analysis of source contributions to the ambient aerosol sample by radial basis function neural network. Journal of Process Engineering, 2006, 6, 86-90 (in Chinese)
3. Yandi Hu, Yujie Zhao, Zhipeng Bai, Huaiyou Gao, and Rongguang Shi. The study of soil environmental quality assessment method based on RBF neural network. Journal of agro-environment science, 2006, 25, 5-12 (in Chinese)
2. Yandi Hu, Zhipeng Bai, Xiang Liu, Jiong Zhou, Wei He, Xiaoyang Guo, and Jun Liu. Questionnaire survey on the condition of using and being contaminated by personal computers for college students. Journal of Safety and Environment, 2005, 5, 36-39 (in Chinese)
1. Yandi Hu, Zhipeng Bai, Jiong Zhou, Xiang Liu, Wei He, Xiaoyang Guo, and Jun Liu. Research on the electromagnetic radiation contamination of college students by personal computers. Journal of Safety and Environment, 2005, 5, 37-41 (in Chinese)